There are a lot of reasons why one might feel that it’s time for them to visit a dermatologist in Ajman. Some of the common issues could be sunburns, rashes, discoloration, or some kind of infection. Other issues might consist of treatments for aesthetic reasons or getting rid of stubborn fat or sagging skin. But for whatever reason you need to see a dermatologist, in every case, the big question remains what kind of dermatologist can help you out with your issue. Now, you must be thinking what is that supposed to mean? Your answer is right here!
Dermatology has main two branches-medical dermatology and cosmetic dermatology. And quite often it is noticed that patients are confused about the kind of skin specialist in Ajman they should visit. Through this post, we try to omit the confusion and help you distinguish between the two branches of dermatology.
Medical Dermatology: What does it mean?
Medical dermatology, as the name suggests, is the branch of dermatology that is mainly concerned with patients who are facing skin-related issues as a result of some medical condition. Now, these conditions could be affecting either your skin, hair, or nails. But apart from evaluating, diagnosing, and treating the conditions, dermatologists under this branch help to maintain healthy and glowing skin as well.
The best way to understand the whole thing is with the help of a simple example. Imagine you have a lot of scars on your face as a result of acne and you go for a cosmetic procedure like skin resurfacing to reduce the scars. In this case, your skin specialist in Ajman will have to provide you with some medications that will stop the reoccurrence of any acne, providing you with the healthy and glowing skin you desire.
Common Conditions and Treatments
1. Acne: In the case of acne, the dermatologist will examine the severity of it, and based on the diagnosis he/she will start the treatment. The treatment might include light therapy, medication, removing cysts, or laser treatment.
2. Dermatitis: Dermatitis is a term used to indicate skin conditions that cause inflammation or irritation of the skin. Some of the conditions could be blisters, eczema, and cradle cap.
3. Skin Infections: Skin infections can be caused by a number of microscopic organisms such as viruses, parasites, fungi, and bacteria. An experienced medical dermatologist will study the cause of the infection and prescribe medication to cure it.
4. Nail Problems: The common problems related to the nails could be black spots, discoloration, and separation. Most of these can be traced back to some or the other underlying health condition. But that is not something you need to worry about. Your dermatologist will be able to diagnose it.
5. Skin Cancer: Skin cancer can appear anywhere on your skin. Your skin specialist in Ajman will be able to remove the cancer cells and monitor you so that the cells do not reappear.
6. Hair Loss: Hair loss can be hereditary to a person. But there are other reasons too such as stress or hormonal changes that can cause it. A trusted dermatologist at the Thumbay University Hospital can find out the root cause of your hair loss and provide you with the right treatment.
Cosmetic Dermatology: What does it mean?
Cosmetic dermatology, also known as aesthetic medicine, is the branch of dermatology that focuses on improving the condition of your skin to reverse the effects of aging and give you youthful skin that is healthy and glowing. Patients who wish to have younger-looking skin usually go for such treatment. It is be noted that cosmetic dermatology isn’t about treating any kind of medical condition but only for cosmetic reasons and purposes.
Cosmetic dermatology can prove to be quite risky in some cases. But if it gets successful, it can have a significant impact on your confidence level. Since this branch of dermatology focuses more on the wants of a patient and not the needs, most insurance policies do not cover it. However, the popularity of cosmetic dermatology and the methods associated with it keeps on rising.
Common Treatments and Procedures
1. Laser Hair Removal: This procedure involves the use of a powerful source of heat and light to destroy the hair follicles so that the hair growth is reduced permanently.
2. Skin Exfoliation Treatments: Chemical peels, MiraPeel, dermaplaning, microdermabrasion, and physical exfoliation are all different types of skin exfoliation treatments. These treatments involve the removal of dead skin cells from the skin surface to improve the texture and tone of your skin.
3. Dermal Fillers: Fillers could be different forms like collagen, hyaluronic acid fillers, synthetic, and autologous. The process involves injecting fillers into the line and folds of the skin providing it immediate volume.
4. Non-Invasive Fat Removal: This procedure involves the use of cold temperature to eliminate the fat cells and treat the stubborn fat in the body.
5. Botox Injections: Injecting botulinum in the skin helps reduce wrinkles which are caused as a result of the repetitive contractions of the facial muscles. The toxin controls the release of acetylcholine which is responsible for the contraction of facial muscles.
6. Intense Pulsed Light: Intense Pulsed Light or IPL therapy involves the use of light beams of different wavelengths to encourage the production of collagen. This therapy is used to control wrinkles, sunburns, vascular spiders, small moles, and expression lines.
Both medical and cosmetic dermatology are aimed towards providing you with healthy skin, hair, and nails. The only difference that could distinguish the branches from one another is the fact that one of them (medical dermatology) caters to the needs of the patients and the other one (cosmetic dermatology) to the wants of the patients.
Issues that cosmetic dermatology solves are more about acquiring personal confidence and a more attractive appearance. Medical dermatology on the other hand solves the issues related to the health of the skin, although it boosts the confidence and the overall appearance of the patient as well.
To know more about what treatment or procedure could solve your skin-related issues, contact our dermatologist in Ajman or book an appointment now!